Mental Health Services
Quick link to our Saving Lives Infographic
Before You Start
- The information below details the service currently being provided by organisations in the Whitsunday, Isaac and Mackay region, and reflects the impacts of the Coronavirus outbreak. Their service delivery approach and times will probably change (quickly) in future, as more changes happen in our local and global communities.
- This website will be updated regularly but please check the websites of individual services as well if needed (links are provided).
- Please only phone services for urgent matters as may be experiencing higher than usual numbers of requests for service and still adapting to changed working conditions.
When you’re deciding about which service might be right for you, or someone you care about, please consider:
- Services mat have specific eligibility criteria, which can be based on age, region or meeting a specific type of need. If you don’t meet their criteria, ask to be referred to another appropriate service.
- Services may be experiencing high demand so you may have to wait to see someone. If this happens, check out the range of phone services, online forums and counselling and apps that can be really helpful in the meantime.
- You might not find the service or counsellor that’s the best fit for you right away. If you need to, talk with a few services to find the one you feel comfortable with.
- Some GP services will bulk bill if you explain your particular circumstances.
- If you want to talk with a GP about mental health concerns, let them know in advance so you can have a longer appointment.
Mental Health Services
Mackay Community Mental Health Service
Mental Health Services offer a free and confidential service for the treatment of individuals who have, or are at risk of developing, a major mental illness. These services are provided to youth, adults and older persons.
Online Psychology Platform Rural Health Connect
Rural Health Connect is a collective of 50 psychologists who have come together to provide support to people who need it. We do Medicare sessions and NDIS, offering:
- Bulk billing
- No waiting lists
- A broad range of specialties including children, adolsescents, LGBTI, health, eating disorders, pain management, addiction and many more.
- Support via phone call for anyone who needs it.
- Sessions outside of business hours.
All you need is a Mental Health Plan.
Sessions are done over video call or phone call.
Rural Health Connect is based in Rockhampton but has psychologists throughout Australia.
www.ruralhealthconnect.com.au or for more information please call Megan 0427 629 377.
Mental Health Hub
Mental Health Hub
- The hub is open to anyone experiencing mental illness
- It is a safe and welcoming environment for self-help, advocacy and socialisation
- Service is free and no formal referral is needed
- Contact the Mental Health hub to book an initial consulration and a tailored support plan will be developed
- Group programs are on hold while we navigate the COVID-19 situation
- However, they are now offering individual support, delivered either over the phone or in person at the Hub (adhering to strict hygiene and social distancing protocols)
- Direct support and support coordination for people with needs around mental health, disability and community care
- Continuting to provide services while practicing physical distancing for essential services
- Support coordination online or by phone
Counselling and Coaching Services
This is a Conversation Starter (TIACS) Foundation
- Providing early intervention and mental health helping individuals to understand their own mental health and equip them with the tools to practice mental wellness and be the best versions of themselves.
- Free of charge service and talk to a psychologist straight away
- No referral required
- There is no impact on a persons medical record
Anglicare Mackay and Whitsunday
Anglicare Mackay and Whitsunday offers counselling, emergency assistance, education and training programs, and an Employee Assistance Program.
Anglicare – John Langford – Outreach
John Langford does outreach to Proserpine Communty Centre by appointment on Thursdays.
Centacare CQ Mackay
- Services are all available with additional safety procedures in place.
- Service include: Aged Care, Disability Services, NDIS Plan Management, NDIS Support Coordination, Counselling, Family Relationship Centre, Property Mediation, Employee Assistance Program and Hand in Hand.
- Bowen Community and Support service
- Financial Resilience Service
- Outreach to Collinsville
Centacare CQ Counselling
- Centacare CQ is providing professional and confidential counselling and psychology services to people of all ages and from all walks of life.
- Sessions can be conducted over the phone or via video chat
- To make an appointment, phone 1300 523 985 or visit Centacare CQ’s website
- All services are being provided by telephone, video conferencing or in person
- Family Dispute Resolution (FDR)
- Gambling Help Program (GHS)
- Parenting Orders Program (POP)
- RAQ Royal Commission Services
- Relationship Counselling
- Victims Counselling and Support Service
- Elder Abuse Prevention and Support Service
- Senior Financial Protection Service
- Relevant referral process still remain in place (visit to GP to develop Mental Health Care Plan and referral through Connect to Wellbeing who fund these sessions)
- Sessions are being offered by four counsellors throughout the day, after hours and selected Saturdays
- Sessions may be by phone, online or face to face, depending on the counsellor
- Carers Program is still offering face to face sessions if required, or phone sessions, on a part-time basis. This is a self-referring program
ATSICHS Social Emotional Wellbeing Unit (SEWBU)
The Social, emotional wellbeing unit (SEWBU) is a government funded program to help provide social and emotional help to Indigenous communities. They are also developing a resource page to assist parents through this challenging time by providing parenting tools, stress management tools, how to offer support to their children, activity ideas, strategies to put in place to make time for themselves and their children
- They offer an extensive list of services, from suicide prevention, AODS, counselling, workshops, groups, assistances with finance and housing. and many more
Provide crisis response, the protection of vulnerable children, financial resilience and family wellbeing and services include:
- Family Mental Health Support
- Generalist Children’s Counselling
- Post Separation Cooperative Parenting Program
- Choosing Change – Men’s Stopping Violence Program
- Financial First Aid Line
- StandBy Support After Suicide
Justine McAllister Psychologist practice – Just in Mind
Based in Bowen Queensland, the Justine McAllister Psychologist practice aims to promote and maintain the emotional well-being of individuals in a relaxed and friendly environment.
At the Justine McAllister Psychologist practice, evidence-based therapies including a range of counselling approaches are offered to assist clients to manage life challenges with the aim of reducing the associated symptoms of anxiety, stress and depression.
MIW Business Wellbeing Service
Mental health support to small business operators in our region. These services include:
- Adjustment disorder
- Anxiety disorder such as panic disorder, health anxiety and generalised worries
- Depression and low mood
- Relationship counselling
- Marriage counselling
- Trauma and post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Grief and loss
- Insomnia and sleep issues
- Parenting support
- Self-esteem and self-worth issues
1:1 Personal/Professional Development Coaching with a choice of two qualified and experienced coaches, one male, one female (with blue card)
Coaching supports the individual to take action by finding the answer within, through exploring self-awareness, encouraging insight, building behavioural change and creating new perspectives
To further support individual progress we may also offer tips, tools and techniques depending on the topic of conversation and on what helps to develop action(s) to bring about change
By appointment only
No referral required
Assessment and Referral Services
Connect to Wellbeing
Following a ‘no wrong door’ approach, Connect to Wellbeing provides a single point of entry to psychological services.
Offering intake, assessment, triage and referrals, Connect to Wellbeing connects people with the right service at the right time. Give them a call and they will link you with an appropriate service for your needs.
Post-suicide Support Services
StandBy – Support after Suicide
StandBy is now recognised as Australia’s leading suicide post-vention program dedicated to assisting people and communities impacted by suicide.
Services for Young People
- Now moving back to face to face sessions, as well as telehealth, with the option to choose between Zoom video calls and telephone delivery of sessions.
- For private practice families discounted rates are available to make access viable.
- If accessing via Medicare, there are newly released bulk billing items that some families will currently qualify for, with others meeting remote rebates.
- If neither of these apply, a discount will be offered. Sessions under NDIS and Stepped Care, session costs will remain covered by your existing program provider.
- New referrals for telehealth options has approximately a 3 week wait time. The wait time for referrals for face to face is uncertain, with pre-existing waitlist of 3 months
- During April, they are providing no cost access to Centreventions online Social and Emotional Skills programs – register here
Whitsunday Kids Counselling
Child and youth counselling, including therapeutic services such as sound/play therapy and rhythm therapy to assist children with anxiety, social and emotional isolation, depression and confidence
- Face to face services are still being provided.
- Young people and family and friends who are physically unwell are requested to get in touch by phone rather than attending the centre in person, especially if they are experiencing mild respiratory symptoms including, runny nose, sore throat, cough, or fever.
- For young people potentially experience feelings of stress related to COVID-19, resources are available on the headspace website
Proserpine Youth Space
Proserpine Youth Space is a Non Government Organisation and offers a huge range of both fun and educational activities to 12-25 year olds Tues-Friday, 12:30-5:30pm. They also offer an information, referral & advocacy service to young people in need.
YIRS One Stop Youth Shop Inc.
- Open for Face to face services Monday to Friday 9:30 am to 4:00 pm
- Staff and available to provide support by phone
Whitsunday YESS Youth Worker (MADEC) – Natash Reid
Youth Empowerment and Support Service program is delivered in the Whitsunday/Bowen Region. The YESS program can support and assist young people 8 -21 years who present as disadvantaged, vulnerable and/or at risk. Support and assistance where appropriate can be provided in consultation with their families, significant others and relevant stakeholders.
Minds Alive Australia
The organisation which is a part of UnitingCare. Minds Alive Australia offers support to vulnerable children up to the age of 18 and their families who are affected by or at risk of mental illness. Minds Alive is Federally funded. Situated behind Central State School. Client can self-refer.
Minds Alive cover the Mackay Regional Council area, are very flexible and can offer outreach and transport. Working on evolving groups next year. Mind work holistically with clients and update every 3 months visioning, goal setting.
Service Finder for the Whitsunday and Bowen areas
The Whitsunday Suicide Prevention Network has developed a list of suicide prevention and crisis support contact numbers for Airlie Beach to Proserpine, Bowen to Collinsville and Home Hill and Ayr.
Your Local GP
Type ‘GP’ in the My Community Directory search engine for local listings. GPs are the best starting point for someone seeking professional help. They can make a diagnosis, provide treatment options and referrals and draw up a Mental Health Treatment Plan so you can get a Medicare rebate for psychological treatment. Request a longer appointment to discuss mental health issues including suicidal thoughts.
Isaac Community Connect App
This app provides everything Clermont, Coppabella, Dysart, Glenden, Middlemount, Moranbah and Nebo has to offer in the palm of your hand.
It includes details about medical services, after hours medical services, unique experiences, community events, facilities and services, local businesses, accommodation and more.
Help-A-Mate Resource List
Grapevine Group and produced a Suicide Prevention Resource List for the Mackay region. Scroll down below or go to their website for a copy.
The new Be You Program Directory is now live
The Be You Programs Directory has been redeveloped. Since launching in November 2018, Be You has continued to develop its resources and services based on feedback from educators.
The Programs Directory continues to be a searchable database of mental health and wellbeing programs offered by a wide range of providers to schools and early learning services.
The new Programs Directory will make it easier for educators to decide which program to use in their school or early learning service to promote the mental health and wellbeing of children and young people.
11 Wood Street, Mackay
QLD Australia 4740