SPCAP’s priorities are to:
- Raise awareness about how we can prevent suicide, increase participation in our communities (especially by men) and reduce stigma
- Support community members and frontline workers to develop appropriate knowledge and skills so they know what to do in a crisis
- Ensure community members can find resources and services that meet their needs, as easily as possible
Current SPCAP activities include:
- Working 12 ambassadors to encourage men to ask for help
- Providing training for people with a lived experience of suicide to safety and effectively share their story
- Working with SANE Australia in the Better Off With You campaign
- Conducting a survey across the region of how (or if) people seek help to improve their mental wellness
- Supporting many other local campaigns being conducted by other organisations and groups across the region
We can prevent suicide when we work together across our community.
Phone Michelle or Shea at the selectability office on 4951 2973, or contact us through the SPCAP Facebook page, to:
- Get involved or find out more about SPCAP’s activities
- Find out more about training options across the region
- Tell us about a potential project we can work on together
- Know more about what’s happening in our region
- Get support for yourself, friends or family
- Find more ways to get involved in SPCAP activities
Acknowledgement of Country
The Suicide Prevention Community Action Group acknowledges the Traditional Owners of the land on which our group operates, across the Mackay, Whitsunday and Isaac regions. We pay respect to Elders past, present and future and value the traditions, culture and aspirations of the First Peoples of this land.
Acknowledgement of Lived Experience
The Suicide Prevention Community Action Group acknowledges the lived experience of people with mental health challenges. We pay respect to people who have lost their lives to suicide and acknowledge the families and carers of all people with a lived experience. We recognise their commitment in supporting people who experience mental health challenges to live well on the terms they choose.
11 Wood Street, Mackay
QLD Australia 4740